This is an easy and straightforward process and should take around 1.5 - 2 hours to complete. You are not being tested; you are there to give as much information as possible to your assessor. The more information they have, the better informed their decision will be in what support is appropriate for you:
- It is advisable to arrive 10 - 15 minutes before your needs assessment
- Your assessor will consider your disability and learning needs, the requirements for your course and Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) fund guidelines for your DSA needs assessment report
- They will always discuss recommendations with you so that your views are considered and you understand what support is being suggested and why
- The time spent at the assessment centre will involve the assessor taking notes to draft a needs assessment report for you
- The assessor may demonstrate equipment and software and you may wish to trial the equipment being recommended. This is important to ensure you have the right tools to help you whilst studying
During the assessment, the assessor will explain to you that you can either:
- a) receive a draft copy of your report, which you are expected to return to the assessment centre within 5 working days (after which it will be sent to the funding body)
- b) to receive the final copy of the report at the same time as this is sent to the funding body.
Your final report will be sent to you within 10 working days after you have attended your assessment. If you do not receive your report within 10 days, you should contact the centre immediately. The final report will also be sent to your funding body and you will hear back from them what the next steps are.
After the Needs Assessment Your Report
Depending on your choice of Opting In or Opting Out this will determine when you receive your needs assessment report. To avoid delaying the progress of your assessment, once you receive your needs assessment report you should review it and advise the assessment centre of any inaccuracies or amendments you have identified as soon as possible.
The funding body will receive a copy of your report which they will review and advise you accordingly of what your entitlement is.
The funding body will contact you in writing and they will let you know who to contact for the equipment and services they have approved.